Re: Aircraft fittings and brake lines

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:08:45 -0700 alfacybersite <acs@domain.elided> wrote:
> but if one completely replaces their brake lines and uses
> Earls' adapters, your brake line system will look like something out of
> a WW II submarine and has the 'possibility' of leaking like the one in
> "Das Boot" under bombardment because you've doubled the connections (or
> would that be tripled?). Since the adapters (might be wrong here) are
> aluminum, they need to be tight, but no more than the correct tightness,
> 'cause a few degrees more tightness will crack the adapters.

they could be steel or aluminum. in the brake lines, i have been using
mostly steel (but the adjustable proportioning valve in my car is
aluminum), but in the fuel systems and oil systems, it's mostly aluminum.

i've had no leaking problems whatsoever with any of this stuff. none. nada.
zip. however, i did learn from a very knowledgeable source, and i also read
all the pertinent chapters in Carroll Smith (_Prepare to Win_, _Tune to
Win_, _Engineer to Win_, and _Screw to Win_ (this last one is really named
something like _Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing
Handbook_ because the publisher didn't want to use Smith's orginal title.))
these are first class books and i urge anyone who is preping a track car or
doing their own plumbing to read them and learn. i would also add Fred
Puhn's _Brake Handbook_ to the list as Smith choose not to write a brake
book -- he liked Puhn's book so much he didn't see the need.

the special wrenches that biba refers to are aluminum so that they won't
mar the way kewl red or blue anodized aluminum finishes. they're short to
prevent overtorquing.

richard