Importing non-us models, reply from congress woman

Here is a reply that I recently received from my local
congress woman regarding my request to change import
rules to allow individuals to import non-us models.
Seems to be a typical misinformed response.

I saw we start a $10.00 fund from each digestable to
purchase a newer spider and see what would be required
to bring those cars in.  Obviously AutoDelta has done
some of the leg work, so we may be able to
piggyback....just a thought.

Kelly M.

> October 10, 2002
>
> Thank you for contacting me about the importation of
> European cars.
>
> The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS)
> establish minimum levels of safety performance for
motor vehicles. The National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration (NHTSA) monitors the importation of
foreign vehicles not certified to comply with the
FMVSS to ensure that they are brought into compliance.
Imported cars are also subject to safety standards
under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1996, revised
under the
> Imported Vehicle Safety Compliance Act of 1988, to
> bumper standards under the Motor Vehicle Information
and Cost Savings Act of 1972, and to air pollution
control standards under the Clean Air Act.

> Individuals can still import vehicles that have not
> been approved if they contract a Registered Importer
(RI).  RIs were created under the Imported Vehicle
Safety Compliance Act in order to help bring
nonconforming cars into compliance, but in order for
an RI to succeed in importation they  must first
petition the FMVSS on the basis that the car in
question is capable of being modified to comply with
all standards.  The petitions are reviewed and then
the FMVSS decides if the car is eligible for
importation.  The RI has 120 days to bring the car
into conformity and submit a vehicle compliance
package.  Finally, the RI must hold the car for 30
days until final approval before it is released for
titling or use on the highway.

> Most vehicles manufactured abroad that conform with
> U.S. safety, bumper, and emission standards are
exported for sale in the U.S. Although a
> nonconforming car may be conditionally admitted, the
> modifications required to bring it into compliance
may be so extensive and costly that  it may be
impracticable and even impossible to achieve such
compliance.

http://faith.yahoo.com