4-cylinder engine adapter

In a message dated 10/09/2002 8:42:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 17:56:04 -0700
> From: alfacybersite <acs@domain.elided>
> Subject: 4-cylinder engine adapter
>
> Well aware there are a great number of people who install their
> 4-cylinder engines from the rear. Certainly your choice...
>
> Check out: http://www.alfacybersite.com/ACSEngineStand.html
>
> <snip>
> Biba
> Irwindale, CA USA

Biba and all,
       That is a nice Alfa engine stand adapter.  I built a pair of those
years ago and am very pleased.  I used an Alfa engine workshop manual for
inspiration.  I also bought two engine stands and modified / joined them to
mount the engine from both sides.  Mounting from both sides may not be
necessary, but the factory manual did it that way and I feel safer doing it
as well.
       When I built a V-6, I built similar adapters and again mounted from
both sides.  Because of the V shape, the adapters are a bit shorter and the
engine is not mounted at its center of gravity.  But then the center of
gravity of the engine changes when you add or subtract the cylinder head /
heads and other parts.
       Please note that Biba is not selling these.  He provides a link to Jim
Steck, who is selling them.  I am also not selling them, only recommending
that anyone doing an Alfa engine overhaul buy one or, better yet (in my
opinion) two.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City