Spider motor mounts a weak point?

My Spider's motor mounts were replaced in '96 after a fan-blade
broke off and catapulted through the engine compartment. I can't believe
I've put that many miles on the car since then, but I certainly can hear
the (new) fan blades scraping on the shroud. Could my motor mounts have
started sagging again already? Is this the expected life span of a motor
mount? When I was younger, my mom had an old '66 Mustang that was bone
stock original until a motor mount broke (somewhat violently) in '84 while
I was driving. I remember because that was the year my mom defected and
bought a Honda. 18 years is a lot longer than 5 years....

Also, if anyone is curious, no I haven't had a chance to replace the fuel
filter yet. Thanks to all the folks who sent instructions and
suggestions (and thanks for the offer of help, Zach!) I'll let you know
when the "event" occurs.

Tess