Re: V6 spider conversion on ebay

I have test driven a V6 conversion by Nick Muto at Alfa Tech.
3.0 164 V6 installed in a 74 Spider. It was really amazing. The torque was
like no other Alfa except the V8 powered Montreal. There was no perceivable
difference in handling from a stock Spider. And this conversion had stock
suspension.
It has the Maserati 5 speed transmission. It was quite different compared to
the Alfa gearbox. The shift pattern has 1st gear located in the lower left
position so it up and over to 2nd, then straight down to 3rd, up and over to
4th and down to 5th. The Maserati trans felt odd to me, but all manuals feel
odd to me after 26 years of driving Spiders. I would not sacrifice a nice
solid, good running Spider to a V6 conversion. But I'm convinced that if you
can put together a V6 Spider from the remains of unloved Alfas, go for it!
I've started my V6 conversion project with a 74 body that is bumped and
bruised. The wounded 4 cyl. engine was in the trunk in pieces. I'm holding
out for a 164 S engine or a 3.0 that has been built.
Anybody out there know of any?

The parts on eBay would be a good start however the real time and money go
into the fabrication of; motor mounts, radiator, headers, exhaust, clutch,
drive shaft, air intake, and you still have to adapt that Maserati trans to
the V6 block. And as a result the gear shift lever comes up further back so
the interior needs to be modified. and don't forget about emissions testing.

The conversion to a V6 is what the factory should have done in the late
1980's. But that's another topic for discussion.

Charlie DiMarco
serpentautosport.com