Project Alfa starter solenoid

I pulled the fuel lines out this morning and measured them. Eight feet each,
5/16 inch. I hit all the local parts stores and the only thing available are
the flared brake lines and the longest is only 6ft so I bought four 5ft
lengths, two unions and a tubing bender for 38 bucks and started bending up
new sections using the old ones as a pattern. I looked for that spongy
insulating stuff that was around the OEM lines but couldn't find any. I'm
not so sure I want to put it on anyway. It seems like it trapped moisture
and was the cause of the corrosion that did the lines in to begin with. I
didn't want to have unions in the lines but I can see how working with an
8ft length and the tubing bender could get real interesting.

Anyway - back to the starter solenoid issue. It's become obvious that I have
a better grasp on String Theory than I do on what is going on with this
thing. I measured 0.4 ohms through that puppy to ground and 12 volts divided
by 0.4 ohms equals 30 amps. But when I got it all hooked up and working I
wired my meter in, turned the key and it read 4.89 amps for the starter
solenoid current alone. When I get the new fuel lines fabricated and
installed I'll take a reading on the cold start solenoid as well.

But in the mean time - I'd sure like to know what the pieces are that I'm
missing to this puzzle.

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Alfa - http://home.pcmagic.net/pi