Re: How to R&R driveshaft bushing?

Some feedback - I asked about replacing the bushing at the front of a
105/115 series driveshaft. Two methods were suggested by some of our
resident experts:

Tom Sahines method:
>I grind a groove in the bushing flange so that I can grab it with a bearing
>clamshell, then I use a slide hammer to pull it out. The new bushing can be
>unstalled with a hammer and a block of wood or aluminum to protect the
>bushing.

Jim Steck approach:
>I weld a 5/8-18
>nut to the front of the bushing and use my slide hammer to remove it.  The
>combination of heat from welding and the small amount of shrinkage you get
>when the weld cools, makes the bushing fairly easy to remove.

I used Jim's approach, which worked fine, although we needed to grind the
front of the bushing slightly to get a clean (non-oily) surface to weld to,
and it took quite a few whacks with the slide hammer to get it out. Used a
copper face hammer to tap the new one in.

Probably not surprising, but there is still some slop, presumably because
the 150,000+ miles have also taken their toll on the gearbox output shaft.
At least it will be a bit better than it was. I'm also replacing the
driveshaft centre support and engine mounts which have sagged, so presumably
the alignment will be a bit better.

Maybe replacing the gearbox mount last time I was under there lifted the box
enough to change the angles, helping to cause the quick demise of the donut
- perhaps all of the mounts are carefully designed to sag at the same rate
!!  :-))

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce