RE: Gurney and F1

The Red Bull program is headed by Danny Sullivan, of the 14 finalists (or is it 16? Bobby East dropped out, may be Boston Reid did also) I think Pat Long, Hunter-Reay have a good shot, that kart kid Abbate, at 16 got picked, so he must be something, let's see how he'll go up against someone his age like Lewis Hamilton. I am surprised that Danica Patrick didn't get picked, I hate to think Danny is holding his grudge against Rahal.

Dan Gurney, I don't believe has anything to do with Red Bull. Derek Hill did OK this year (2nd half) in F3000 with Durango, but after his last stint, anything is an improvement, he is still no where ready for F1.

Of the current F3000 runners, I think Rob Nguyen is going to impress people next year, he is by far this year's rookie of the year. His is a particularly impressive (i.e. mind boggling) story, with no prior karting experience, one driving school and 9 races in his life in Formula VW, he did OK in F3000 last year, qualifying as high as 4th.

I really enjoy the lower formulas since F1 has been such a yawn.

- S.

>Dan is not joking or floating balloons. It's a done
>deal, he and the fine folks at Red Bull have already
>selected the four young Americans and they will be put
>through extensive testing (dextarity, physical,
>mental, etc). I don't remember who these guys are, I'm
>just REALLY jealous. Phil Hill has nothing to do with
>this effort but it was good to see him in Indy last
>week.

Steve Hynes
Grand Haven, MI USA