To test the gauge, pull the wire off the sender and ground it (same works for the water temp gauge, too). With the ignition on, the gauge should read full-scale. It's likely the sender, anyway, but make sure the terminal connection is clean and tight, as the gauge is basically an ohmmeter. I've been through two senders on my '74 Spider in the last 5K miles.

Regards,

Dean

At 11:27 AM 10/7/2002, you wrote:

Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 02:26:50 +0000
From: JeffreyOlson@domain.elided
Subject: Oil pressure question w/'85 Spider?

Here are the factory oil pressure limitations w/oil at 90 degrees C:

800-900 rpm = 7.1 to 14.2 psi
5000 rpm = 49.8 to 71.1 psi

A friend's Spider with a little over 1,000 miles on new pistons, liners, and
connecting rod bearings, the oil pressure was right within limits with the oil
pressure guage responding normally to changes in engine rpm and temperature.

Suddenly the oil pressure guage is now nearly stationary regardless of rpm or
temperature and the needle stays slightly above the middle of the scale
(approximately 57+ psi).

Have not yet checked the oil pressure at the sending unit. Maybe a filter and
oil change thinking the combination of new and old parts in the 106K mile
engine may have produced a lot of metal in the filter during the break-in
period? The oil sump and oil pump were both removed, cleaned, and reinstalled
with no problems during the recent engine work.

A little concerned since this seems very uncharacteristic, call me paranoid!

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks!

Jeff