speedo stopped working

My speedo stopped functioning very suddenly on my '73 spider.  To see if the
cable itself was broken, I disconnected the cable from the transmission,
connected the cable to a drill, and found that the speedo gauge works.  I
re-tightened the cable at the trans, but still no speed is registering.  I
tried to remove the plate where the cable enters the trans, but could not get
that plate to come off.  Is there something behind that plate in the trans
that may have loosened or broke?  Any suggestions on how to repair this on my
own?  Thanks
Mark
N.J.