Re: Starter relay mod for '72 Spider

Tony Sims wrote:
-------------------------
I'm puzzled.  My '74 GTV has a starter relay in it, stock from the lil' old
Alfa factory.  Is it not doing what I think it is -- i.e. keeping the big
volts from having to run through the starter switch?  Or ar y'all putting in
relay for a different reason?

Well, if you're talking about the starter solenoid (which is a relay) it has
a secondary function and that is to pull the starter gears into mesh with
the ring gear so it uses in the order of about 30 amps from my calculations.
So I'm planning to put in a relay to power the solenoid so only a trickle of
current needs to go through the starter switch.

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Alfa - http://home.pcmagic.net/pi