Re: Dreaming of a new spider

I don't know about this engine business, but I do know this. Its not the engine that determines US salability, it is the compliance of the car's actual structure, not the engine, that's important. The engine is only important for it's emissions properties. It is illegal to import an uncertified vehicle into the USA that's newer than 25 years old. You can import all of the Montreals and Tipo 33 Stradales into the US you want to along with all the "Bertie" GTVs and GTAs, pre-1978 spiders, Berlinas, TZs, SZs, you want. Bring in any old Ferrari, Maserati, Fiat, Osca, Bizzarini, Iso, or whatever you want as long as it was built was before 1978 and the Federal Government doesn't care. BUT, if the car was made post 1977, you have to post a bond equal to the car's worth (something that U.S. Customs sets, not what the buyer actually paid) and sign a paper promising to make the car comply with all U.S. safety standards within 180 days of signing. If the car was never imported into the USA, that compliance cannot be effected. You can't get U.S. bumbers for a current Alfa Spider, for instance, because none were ever made. Same with tail lights, side impact protection, headlight and bumper height, glass specifications, and 101 other details.

These individuals in Wisconsin might be immigrants or might might be Americans who have bought the cars while living abroad, and were able to bring them in as personal property which is a loophole in the law. It' s a well plugged loophole, however, because you have to have maintained resident status in the foreign country to take advantage of it, so you just can't go to Europe, buy non-compliant late model Alfas and bring them back as personal property.

AutoDelta can do this because they've gone to the trouble and expense to have themselves listed with the DOT as an automobile manufacturer. They import three Alfa models (Spider, GTV Coupe, and 166 Sedan) and extensively re-manufacture them. They change out the glass for DOT approved type, they have crash tested the required number of cars, fabricated compliant bumpers for them and replaced the stock Bosch FI and ECU with one designed for American emission standards compliance. Their cars are not just re-badged imports, they are extensively RE-MANUFACTURED cars where the 101 things required to make the car an American market automobile have been done.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6