Re: Here we go again

Michael writes:

>A neglected car from any maker will not be reliable at high mileages.

Isn't this usually referred to as "deferred maintenance"?  It's one of the
biggest risks of buying used Euro machinery -- often these cars fall into the
hands of an owner who loved the idea of the car, but couldn't face the
associated costs.

A 164 may indeed have some shortcomings, I don't own one so I can't comment,
but I know BMW's are not cheap to maintain correctly.  I have friends who own
and say the same about Mercedes.  In return, you get cars that will easily go
250,000 miles without major engine work.  Is it worth it?  Probably not to
people who buy US cars by choice.  US cars last as long as needed, why make a
car that will last 15 years if most people will buy a new one after 2?

Tony