homo in strada

In a message dated 10/4/2002 2:09:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

>  Italians in general have been
> intrigued by foreign things, so they will like to try a Japanese car,
> or a French car, or whatever.  It isn't, in my opinion, the same mind-
> set as in America where we have a majority that go along with the
> Best is US train of thought.

On the Italians roads I have seen actually very few Japanese and French cars.
 What I have seen is that people who want to show off their money (sneering
at cost of the car or benzina) buy German cars, as they do in the USA, and
those who REALLY want to show off buy the BIG Mercedes sedan, always a black
one, and drive very very very fast, and zoom past everyone on the Autostrada.
 White or blue or silver ones drive like everyone else, so go figure.

I have a neighbor who is from Rome but has a successful business here in LA
(making and importing things from Italy).  He always drools over our Alfas
when we are out washing them or something, but he drives a BIG BLACK
Mercedes, just like in Italy, and his wife a BMW convertible (she is at least
German).  They could get an Italian car but they seem to want to demonstrate
more than an Italian car can show, so they have the Germans.

Only ONE TIME have I been passed by an Italian car on an Italian highway
(Lambo).  All the others flying past have been black MB sedans.  Is this mere
coincidence?

Does anyone else know about psychographics?

Charlie
LA, CA, USA