re:Starter relay mod for '72 Spider

Paul Irvine said...
> I know plenty of people have done this mod so thought I'd ask if anyone
has
> a part number or source for a relay. I'd also consider just installing a
> pushbutton rather than a relay. Has anyone done that?

I got a relay from McMaster-Carr - works great. I used one of their
weatherproof items
Go to http://www.mcmaster.com
search for "automotive relays"
click on the "automotive relays" link it gives you
Then at the bottom of the page under "High DC Inrush current power relays"
you'll find part number 9672K14 for $6.56.
(Sorry about the instructions but I couldn't find a way to post their link
properly. )

By the way, if there's anyone who hasn't discovered the McMaster-Carr
website then it is an absolute goldmine - the screws/bolts/nuts section of
their website is an object lesson in how to sell tricky stuff from a massive
database on the web in an understandable way - it's always in stock and they
always ship it the next day.

As for the pushbutton idea - I think the relay solves two problems...1) it
removes large current flows from the ignition switch, preserving its life
and 2) puts higher voltage at the starter-solenoid (since you have shorter
runs with better wire to your new, nearby relay). The pushbutton would
require a run to the dash and back so might not provide fix no2).

good luck,
Richard Lane
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.