[no subject]

Like I said, give me something that makes lots of
noise, spews toxic fumes and drips toxic fluids all over the garage floor.
Something that might have a stripped screw or a cracked pipe but doesn't
make me spend half a day poking around in
hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/runonce blah,
blah blah.... looking for some stupid file that doesn't belong there.
When I "moved out" of my parents house, I blew up/burned up some old Macintosh computers with firecrackers and gasoline--I think that would meet your criteria.

Point: Macs (used to) have plain-English file systems and modular system software. More importantly all these asinine Windows/Outlook/whatever virii don't affect them. I find the emails annoying, but they're not going to hurt my computer or get passed onto anyone else from my machine. I'm not going to tell anybody to run out and buy a Mac, but if you buy a Windows machine I think you should be aware of their quirks, flaws, vulnerabilities and high-maintenance nature, not at all unlike buying a high-mileage 164. Don't detest computers just because the one you bought is incompatible with your interest in troubleshooting and willingness to spend time servicing it.

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6
(and still more old computers in my parents' house than they'd like)