having a bad day...

First, I find all the clean clothes I hung up to dry haven't dried yet, so
I'm wearing wet clothes today (don't ask about why I don't use a
dryer). Second, I step out of the front door and the door slams, locking
me out of the house. Luckily, I have a garage-door opener in my bag, and
keys to the Alfa.

Now, a couple weeks ago, my Spider started stumbling (this was the day I
ran out of gas -- owing to the fact that my fuel gauge doesn't work, and I had
recently zeroed out my odometer for a couple of trips where the
instructions had included "first, zero your odometer".) But -- as
usually happens when I run out of gas -- I was right in front of a Chevron
station, so I pushed her in, refilled with 92, and did not worry further
as the stumbling went away. Note to self: it was a hot day.

Today is a cool, damp day (ah yes, the wet clothes, in a Spider, with
the top down). The Spider didn't want to turn over, although the starter
motor was going 'Si, si, si, si, si!'. When I finally got her started and
on an even idle, she didn't want to back out of the garage, or accelerate
from either a stop or from very slow speed in first or second gear. She
wanted to stumble and die. At stoplights, to keep from what I thought
would be a stall -- since the car would start to stumble -- I kept the
parking brake on and my foot on the gas, and was able to skip over the
dead part of the acceleration. If I was driving in, say, 3rd and let
off the gas and let her roll and let the engine speed slow the car down,
she'd begin to stumble again.

Question: could I have gotten muck in the fuel filter when I ran out of
gas? If so, how do I replace this, or can I put some kind of additive in
the tank to clean it out? What else could it be? I would expect the engine
management to be fine, since last year I had a total overhaul done at
Ferrari of Seattle due to failed emissions. (Aha! a clue, you say.
Yes, she has always run rich.)

This is an '87 LJet Spider, and she was running perfectly when I gave her
an ITU last weekend (it was again a warm weekend). Any ideas appreciated!

Altho... I don't suppose y'all can help me with being locked out of my
house, though... I think the wet clothes will take care of themselves by
the end of the day...

Tess
Bellevue WA U.S.A.