Re: installing non-Alfa engines in old Alfa Spider pre-1962

Seeing as we're getting silly about this, why not import a 3.0 GTA V6 and stuff it in?  It pumps 250 hp, dead stock with full emissions gear.  Proper Alfa, nice naturally aspirated feel, none of that tiresome turbo-effect lag-and-then-boost.

The first GTA landed at the local Alfa dealer last week, and I had a good look over it.  It's one serious looking lump of automobile.  Black, low, huge wheels, brakes that completely filled the rims ...

They weren't letting all-comers drive it, though.  I think I'd have had to put a 25% deposit down before turning the key.  And I still worry about trying to squirt 250 hp through the front wheels.  That's just not right.  The sales guy told me that at the national release in Auckland they had "racing drivers" take those present around a race track, and if I'd been a passenger I wouldn't have worried about it being front drive.  Apparently you could hear the traction control working regularly.  But where I come from, if you've got 250 hp, you put it through the rear wheels and turn the traction control off (possible exception if it's raining -- but even then, with a good chassis ...).

The poor guy who started this thread only wanted to know how to make a pre-'62 Spider more reliable!

Anthony
'85 116 Giulietta, rear drive with horsepower slowly increasing ...