Recent shortage of Alfa engines

Who in their right mind would replace the single most reliable component of an Alfa with an engine from something else? The shortage is not of Alfa engines which are durable, reliable, and have high specific output for their era, whatever that may be, as well as amenable to tuning if you so choose, but of suitable Alfa bodies to put them in.

A friend of mine has two engines and three transmissions and has just located a parts car with one of each, as well as sundry other parts. Why he needs another drivetrain is beyond me but I think one of his existing spares is from an Alfetta and requires some mod to the crank before it fits his Spider.

Do not ruin an Alfa with an engine from something else, please. The engine is the heart of the beast and is dead reliable. Point of fact, consider using one of those surplus Alfa engines in some less deserving machine if hybridization is an unavoidable condition for you.

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner