Re[2]: 74 GTV Racing Harness Install

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 10:32:02 -0700 Tony Sims <simstony@domain.elided> wrote:

> Seems you could fab a crossbar that used one or the
> other,
> or both, of the mount points.  I assume the retactor mount is
> reinforced, the
> guide ring mount may not be.

the guide ring probably is. otherwise, it'd just rip out in an incident.

all other things being equal, i'd be inclined to use a wrap mount shoulder
harness around this bar, rather than looping over it and dropping to the
back seat.

the old SCCA GCR used to have a picture of the mythical right way to wrap a
shoulder harness around a bar; i'll have to scan it in and post it. they
eliminted that illustration some years back along with their requirements
about how the harnesses are to be wrapped. i have no idea why they did
that.

>  I have a mental picture of a crossbar that
> has
> brackets mounted permanently, possibly even designed to allow the stock
> seatbelts to be reinstalled over the bracket.  Then it uses a crossbar
> that is
> located with pins and clips so it can be removed to allow occasional use
> of
> the reat "seat" when the competition harness is not needed.

this would need to be done with great care. adding more spots of
interconnection creates more opportunity for failure.

richard