From: Brian Shorey [mailto:bshorey@domain.elided]
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 7:05 AM
To: 'Peter Webb'; CGALFA@domain.elided; alfa@domain.elided
Subject: RE: 2L rev limit

> I always understood the rev limitation on Alfa 2L motors to be valve
float
> due to the weight of valves.   Switching to heavier springs wont help.
> That would just create backlash to the cam and shatter the followers.

I'd respectfully disagree.  Stiffer valve springs are specifically
intended for running stock (or oversized) valves at higher revs.

I've got oversized valves, 11.6mm cams, and stiffer valve springs in my
Spider, have run it to 8,000 RPM more than once, and have not had a hint
of a problem with the cam lobes or followers in 20k miles.

7,000 RPM would be my limit with stock valve springs (I know some have
gone higher without problems, but I know some who have floated valves at
7500 RPM).

I do agree that lighter valves are 'better'..

YMMV,

bs