RE: new Mini

The new Mini IS huge. Mirror to mirror, it's exactly as wide as the new
Beetle.

And that interior trim IS nasty plastic. Mind you, most of the new cars I've
been in lately have had really nasty trim and plastics compared to even a
few years ago. They tend to look nicer but feel much lighter and cheaper. I
noticed it in the Mini and also in a new 156 I had a look at.

I think manufacturers are building car chassis so solidly now and with so
much sound-proofing that, in an effort to keep the weight down, they're
resorting to much lighter interior trim.

The new Mini is supposed to have a superb chassis and the S is quite quick.
However, I watched a road-registered, modified Mini Clubman of about 25
years' age running circles round new Minis on a race track. All of them
would likely have left my Giulia Super for dead on the track. But none of
them sound anything like as good as the Giulia or the 75 so I'm happy.

I can't wait to see what the Italian police are driving in the new Italian
Job (hack, wheeze, splutter, cough...).

nk

Nick Koleszar   koleszar@domain.elided
outgoing mail scanned for viruses by Norton.
1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 2.0
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 3.0 QV
1993 Mini
1990-ish Rotax 125cc/Gbox kart