you can't go home again

The Houston club had a get-together Saturday night at which we watched the
Steve McQueen movie "Le Mans".  Those of us who were old enough remembered
it as a pretty good racing flick, especially as compared to the many pretty
bad racing flicks out there.  Well, the racing scenes and sounds didn't
disappoint.  The occasional 33/3 zipped across the screen chasing all the
917's and 512's. What an era that was!  The rest of the movie, however,
bordered on being a howler!  What a difference 30 years makes.  Did we
really think hair like that was attractive, let alone sexy?  All the actors
looked like they were in wigs.  And the dialog?  What dialog.  Obviously
the writers were paid by the word, as there was none until 20 minutes in.
Then it was 3 word questions, answered with a stare and perhaps a twitch of
an eye or a little start of a half grin.  Then 20 more minutes of no
dialog.  And how on earth could our hero's 917, equal in speed to his
rival's 512 for 23.8 hours, suddenly make up 30 seconds in less than one
lap, only to then be the 512's equal once again?  I know..."IT'S ONLY A
MOVIE!!"

Us guys enjoyed it more than our wives did, although they had a good time
lauging at us and our off color comments.  Makes me wonder, however...does
this mean that that Sly Stallone racing movie (the title escapes me) will
look dumb in 2030?

Mike in Houston