Tuning Spider (and how hard to change SPICA microswitch?)

This started out as a really long message with a lot of history about the
car and what i've done and had done to it. Seems like a lot is unnecessary
so I shortened it. If more details are needed I'll be glad to provide
them.

OK, I've been out and thoroughly enjoying my spider for the last week.
Some beautiful weather here on the Texas coast just eggs me one
constantly.

Yesterday I took the car out for several fun drives and she ran great,
hitting 5000 to 6000 rpms a couple of times, running at 4000-4500 rpms
quite a bit, and generally just having fun and enjoying music from the
motor.

Today I thought I felt a slight bit of surging but it could just as easily
have been the road, I wasn't able to tell for sure one way or the other.
Also, noticed yesterday and even more so today, that the car tries to
backfire more frequently. It actually backfired a couple of times today.
Last week and yesterday there'd be an occasional sputter, but not a
complete POP.

Before being driving from CA to TX the SPICA was adjusted as part of a
tune up to pass CA smog, and after arriving here the points had to be
adjusted to get the car to start (the condensor and coil was also
replaced). I also know that the microswitch on the SPICA isn't working.

Idle is very smooth and quiet. Though today it's just a hint rougher. Not
much, and barely noticable. I figure I need to check the points again.

I don't notice black smoke behind me and sometimes the exhaust smells so
rich I think I'm occasionally smelling fuel. Every time I try to isolate
where the smell is I can't find anything. Usually it's only after hard
throttle that I smell it. I'm also not sure how much of it is my paranoia
after the discussions of leaking fuel lines on the AD.

Now on to my questions.

1. How difficult it is to change the microswitch on the SPICA?
2. How often do points end up needing to be adjusted typically?
3. How often does the SPICA usually need tuning?
4. Any thing else I should check that may contribute to the symptoms above?

Thanks,
Greg