Re: 164 A/C belt

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kramer" <maxchiming@domain.elided>
To: <alfa@domain.elided>
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2002 10:23 PM
Subject: 164 A/C belt

> The alt belt on my 164 is a bit loose, and squeaks a bit especially
> when damp outside.  I'd like to attempt to tighten it myself.
>
> Can anyone tell me the steps, or direct me to a wesite that might give
> me the proper info?
>
> Thanks.
>
>Kramer,

The alternator belt is accessed by removing the passenger-side headlamp.
Alternately, you can get at it by removing the wheel, fender liner.  Once
you have access, there are three screws securing the alternator mounting
bracket to the engine.  Loosen these (13mm), increase belt tension bkyl
moving the alternator upward.  A larger screw driver, small cheater bar and
a little probing for a leverage point works here.  Tension is measured using
a special Alfa tool or by feel.  The manual specification is 67.5 lbs.  If
installing a new belt retension after running engine to operating temp and
cool down.   Rule of thumb is 1/4 to 1/2 inch deflection at the mid point.

Are you sure the alt belt is making the noise.  Check the a/c belt as well.

Don