ITU - fun morning

I've been exercising my 74 Spider in preparation for Best Roads of Texas
next weekend. Finally got to give my friend a ride in the Spider (the one
that's going with me). Took him out for the (almost daily) drive down the
Seawall (in Galveston, TX) towards the east end of the island (only place
with usually near deserted roads with something besides long straights)
and took off. He thoroughly enjoyed himself.

Only thing wrong with the Seawall area for the ITU is it's too much
straight shots and a lot of 35/40 mph area, so I usually rarely get out of
third. But, at the end of the island (east) there are some winding roads
that go from the main street to some condos, and there's a route you can
follow that doesn't take you by the condo driveways but lets you enjoy a
few twists and turns while exercising the car.

The funniest thing was on the return trip to his house. I'd been telling
him these little cars can keep up with a lot of bigger displacement
vehicles. I don't think he believed me right away, but I got a chance to
show him.

A newer model Mustang (think it may have been GT, he thought he saw the
cobra emblem when it passed us just before the stoplight, I seriously
doubt it was a real cobra though) pulled in front of us just as we were
rolling up to a red light. The light turned green and the mustang took
off, squawking the tires when he did. I dropped it into second and took
off too (also squacking the tires a bit). My friend couldn't believe we
were keeping up with the mustang. We could definitely hear the mustang
being floored and he only just barely pulling away from us. :>  It's a 40
mph zone and I backed off after I hit a few miles over that because this
is not an area for that kind of driving. It was a fun few seconds, even if
I only did get to shift once (40mph comes up awful fast).

Needless to say my friend was quite surprised about us keeping up with
that mustang. And so was I. If we would have gone further, faster, and on
the highway I'm sure he'd have left us on the long straight shots.

Anyone else from the Houston area going up to BRoTT next weekend?

And, anyone know of a good place to drive around the Galveston area?

Thanks,
Greg