Re: Alfa upholstery and stuff

OK, I'll bite -- I'm killin' time too.  The seats in the GTV are pretty
decent.  They are suffering from the classic problem -- the cotton stitching
has rotted away -- but there's only one split seam, a 3 inch spot on the
inside of the passenger seat bottom.  The passenger seat recliner works
perfectly, but the one on the driver's side is a bit mangled, although it's
cosmetically fine.  Both headrests work perfectly, and the plywood headrest
posts are a never-fail conversation starter when people see the car for the
first time.

These seats are comfortable, and reasonably supportive for the type of driving
the car sees (hint -- not leisurely cruising).  Still, my plan is to replace
the front seats at some point with Recaros or equivalent, that have a
provision for an anti-sub belt.  This will come with the purchase of a set of
5 point harnesses, so I can enjoy track days a bit more.  It will probably
also be in concert with the installation of a roll bar, since hard top or no,
helmet or no, if I end up with the dirty side up I want a bar protecting my
punkin'.

At that point there may be a set of rear seats for sale, because the vestigal
rear positions will be next to useless with a roll bar in the car and
(probably) belts anchored where the seats want to be.  More likely, I'll bag
them up good and stuff 'em in the rafters of the garage, so if I ever sell the
car I can include the seats if the next nutcase wants them.  Then I can mount
a nice big fire extinguisher right in the middle of where the bottom cushion
used to go.

If my plan were to make the car more civilised rather than less so, I'd
probably be planning to have all the seats reupholstered in black leather,
probably with perforated leather on the seating areas.  I know it's not
original, but it would be fitting for the car, and it would look and feel
quite nice.  While I had the seats out I'd gut the interior, get a new dash,
and I'd cover all the metal with Dynamat before re-installing the trim, to
make the cabin quieter and give the car a more "solid" feel.  After that much
effort and expense, I'd have carpets made custom, so they fit perfect and
would be just the right color.  That would lead to getting the body work and
paint done, and...  Hey, $20,000 later I'd have a fine looking $10,000 car!

Tony
Portland, OR