Car collections

Chaps & Chappettes -

Someone was wondering whether other-brand car crazies were as vulnerable to the collecting bug as Alfisti tend to be, and several replies supported the notion that they are, if only to assure themselves of a good supply of parts. There are of course well-known multi-make collections, ranging from Nethercutt and Cunningham down to the likes of me, back when my back yard contained a Fiat 128, an Austin
Mini 850, a Subaru 360 van, a Hillman Husky AND an Alfa, my '74 Berlina, by then well-gone in Rot...When I met Tania, she was only a little surprised at this inventory, and not at all put off, since at the time her father had a '49 Bentley, a '49 MG-TC, a '71 Citroen DS and a '78 Citroen CX, and had only recently gotten rid of his Cadillac hearse (named William Randolph). He still has everything except
for the DS, which he recently gave to me.

I was visiting Northern California a couple of years ago, and drove down to Aptos (near Santa Cruz) to visit my ex-wife. As I was driving down her very narrow street, trying to find a parking place, I passed by a house that had four or five of those nice late-'60s / early-'70s Datsun 510s, all packed in and around a tiny driveway. I asked Judy about them, and she said, "Oh, yeah, he has a shop in his
basement with about five more, and maybe two rooms full of parts. Too bad he's not home during the day - I bet you guys would really hit it off!"

Will Owen
'87 Milano Gold
'71 Citroen DS21 Pallas
...and THAT'S ALL! for now...