Re: Irrelevant digression on the warm-up thing

<I always heard that 90% of engine wear happens while the motor is cold..
 it's probably close to true..>

My understanding that this is due to an overly rich mixture setting from a
manual or automatic choke. The alternative is to get the car warmed up quickly
but gently or as from the Idots Guide to the VW, disconnect the choke and sit
and have a roll your own cigarette while you wait, though the Surgeon General
might frown on it! My system, not guaranteed, is to start the car, wait for
oil pressure to rise and then drive the first several blocks in first or
second with minimal choke (very good for annoying the neighbors who are late
for work or their first latte). I'll then drive moderately untill the oil
pressure drops to a warmed up level.

Mitch Wolberg,
69 Berlina
69 Spider Jr.