Re: Irrelevant digression on the warm-up thing

I would like to agree with you John, and argue that the rolling warm up is even better for your engine too than the static warm-up. (Of course this is bound to start a war!)
My logic is this:
The engine wants to run at a constant temperature for parts clearance/wear issues. The more quickly we get to that temperature - the better, right? Going out and straight into an Italian Tune Up would warm up the car very quickly, but on the way there all the cold, unlubricated parts would tear themselves to pieces. On the other hand, sitting in the driveway warming up your car puts no real load on the engine - warms up more slowly - leaving cold, unlubricated parts for a longer period. So we find a balance of slow easy driving to warm-up with a minimum of wear.

My take is that the car sitting and idling, warming for a bit.. of course just warms the engine. But what needs it the most right after startup? The engine, with all those bearing surfaces, pistons, liners and rings, etc..

My habit used to be, start car, let idle for 15-30 sec, then lean just a little on the gas, to put some "tension" on things.. I would pick up a little rpm but it would seem to "hold" at 800-1000... then after another 15-20 sec more or less, with no more throttle, the motor would rise up to 1500.. assumably due to oil getting to final places. (or maybe just a sticky spark advance letting go?)

Anyway, giving a minute or two to idling seemed worth it to insure a well buttered up engine before taking off.. Then of course, it takes probably 8-10 minutes of driving before the oil temp is all the way up.. as well as the tranny oil.. I probably didn't stay conservative thru all that time, (hey I was 20) but nearly always would wait till full water temp before major rompage.. And romp I did.. ;-)

I always heard that 90% of engine wear happens while the motor is cold.. it's probably close to true..

Jon