84 Spider Fuel Pump

In a message dated 09/23/2002 1:18:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 00:17:26 -0400
> From: "Anne O" <marinefuel@domain.elided>
> Subject: 84 Spider
>
> Fall is coming fast,so it is time to think of the Alfa work I
> have to do.
>
> I have seen 2 schools of thought on the necessity of a
> functioning in tank pump,what is the consensus? Is it truly
> necessary to maintain proper fuel pressure? Is it redundant? Is
> there a generic replacement?

<snip>

> nne O

       The intank fuel pump is not redundant.  In fact, without it, the main
fuel pump will quickly become toast.
       The main fuel pump has great pushing power, but no suction ability.
The intank pump merely pushes fuel over the rear axle to the main pump.  The
main pump is cooled by fuel.  Without fuel, it will over heat.  That is also
why you never want to let a late model Alfa run out of gasoline.
       The intank pump is Delco EP 254.  A new tank strainer that will work
is Delco TS7.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City