re: Milano alternator fun

At 6:36 PM +0000 9/23/02, alfa-digest wrote:
Installing the new one would be easy...or so we thought. It took about an
hour and a half to get the holes lined up properly and it screwed down.
Basically you have to do it by feel because you can't see jack. It's much
like threading a needle while this hot pipe is searing your arm. We
eventually grabbed a skewer. We put it through the screw hole (lower) in the
regulator and into the hole in the alternator, this kept it in place while
we tightened the top screw. After that was done we were able to finally get
the
lower portions tightened down correctly.

I turned over my Milano and TA-DAH! Battery light was off. All fixed.

What have I learned: There is no easy job. Set aside at least 2 hours for
even the simplest task. It will take longer and you will rack your
knuckles.
Ah, yes--this is one of those jobs that I started at 5:30 and told my parents I'd be in for dinner at 6:00--oops. (And I might have been smart enough to let the exhaust cool down first, too. ;-)

Joe