Spark plug fouling: spider

I replaced the sparks plugs on my newly acquired spider 1986 with Golden Lodge
HL. The old plugs were Silver Lodge 2HL. All four plugs were fouled with
abondant carbon deposits.

Is the fouling normal because the spark plugs are too cold (2HL) or this is an
indication of internal combustion problem ? The fact is that I know nothing
about the engine care history.

The car has 100 000 miles on the odometer, but the engine runs and pulls very
well. I have not yet checked the valve clearence.

Also, any suggestion for a good, not too expansive, ignition wire set for
Bosch injected spider

Regards

Spider 1986
Audi quattro 1993