Aircon ( specific Alfa content)

Here's another one of those things I was supposed to do with my 91 Spider
Veloce in the last 198,000+ miles. However, I did change it in July 2002
when I switched to 134a with 197,000 miles on it..

Every 2-3 years sound like another got ya from the A/C shops. Think about
it, what is going to get in to a sealed system that isn't/hasn't been
opened? Is this any different then the screen on the oil pump? Should it be
removed/replaced every 2-3 years? I'd say (may be wrong) that more oil flows
through the screen in 2-3 years then Freon flows through the dryer.

I think and have been told that the only time you need to change the dryer
is when the compressor has burnt up and all the crud has gotten into the
system. Then flush the system and change the dryer.

Just my $0.02 cents worth, please don't flame me for what I think, because I
won't answer you anyway. However, I will listen to and respond to, good
technical responses. I'm always willing to learn more.

Cordova Ralph
Ralph Fetsch
Cordova Tennessee
1991 Spider Veloce w/auto 198,000+(S)miles
1964 Giulia 1600 Spider

Doug Sedon wrote:

> the main purpose of the dryer is to release particles that
> will clog the expansion walve screen...  ;~)  seriously, it's
> similar to the dissicants in the li'l packages included in
> electronics packaging, etc., w/the *do not eat* warnings on
> 'em.  it is to absorb moisture that may enter the system &
> corrode it...

The shop manuals for the 90 and the 75/Milano cover the HVAC in good detail,
but do not mention receiver/dryer replacement. Most independent A/C shops
recommend replacement every 2-3 years, otherwise the "bag" that retains the
dessicant can give up and let the dessicant flow throughout the system,
making a right mess of your compressor.

Tony
1985 Alfa 90 2.5i
The Afla 90 Page www.alfa90.org

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of winmail.dat]