re: Things to know about pulling

In AD V8 #1138 Jon Pike wrote:
>I'm about to pull the engine and trans on the Spider.  I want to know
>about any gotchas and so forth that I might not be remembering or
>reading up on.

Other posts have covered this pretty well, but, to summarize, in addition
to the things you mentioned: remove the hood, ground strap and clutch slave
cylinder and don't forget to disconnect the wire for the backup light
switch, which is hard to see on top of the bell housing.  On the other
hand, you don't have to pull the fan or drain the transmission (easier to
do with the whole unit hanging fron the hoist).

The only really tricky part after everything is disconnected is getting the
gear lever stub to clear the cutout  in the firewall.  It usually helps to
raise the rear of the car as high as possible on stands, and it's nice to
have a helper who can keep the engine/transmission unit pointing down at a
steep angle while you operate the hoist.  With Spiders, it's also a good
idea to pad the bodywork in front of the hood opening so the tail of the
transmission doesn't scratch it.

Biba's method of removing the tie rod is interesting, but I just take the 3
bolts out of the idler on the right fender and push the tie rod down and
out of the way.

Dana Loomis