Re: Receiver/Drier

In an Alfa (or other car) a receiver/drier does several things.  One
(receiving, I guess) it provides storage of refrigerant in its liquid state,
fresh from the condenser.  Two, it has a bag of water-absorbing stuff
(drying) that can take up a certain amount of water from the system.  Three,
the bag of stuff also filters the refrigerant, trapping debris before it
gets to your valve.  And (four) in R-12 systems it usually has a window
(sight glass) that allows a visual inspection of the color and flow of the
fluid.  AC wisdom is to replace it any time you open the whole system to the
outside environment.  Certainly, replace if you have had damage in the
compressor.    I've got one sitting in the garage (plugged) waiting for me
to convert my spider to R134a.
John Dohrmann