Milano Clutch Noise and Driveshaft Vibration

Well, I got zero responses to my query about my Milano developing a strange
noise when the clutch was engaged.  It sounded like if the clutch fork or some
other stationary thing was scraping against the pressure plate 'fingers'.
Over the weekend I finally took a look in there to investigate and you'll
never guess what I found.

The two nuts that hold the clutch pack input fork (the tripod thingy that the
guibo attaches to) to the clutch pack input shaft were loose.  The moment I
saw they were loose I immediately knew that the noise was. When the clutch
pedal is pushed in the fork pulls on the pressure plate 'fingers'.  If those
nuts are loose, the entire clutch pack can move fore and aft in the
bellhousing.  The clutch fork action pulled the clutch pack back far enough
that the assembly was making contact with the back of the bellhousing.

One torque wrench later and I was back on the road.

On a related note, after I changed the clutch and synchros the last time I did
not note the location of the guibo bolts/washers and therefore mixed them up
at reassembly.  From previous threads it appears that it is in fact critical
to note their location if you wish the balance of the driveline to not be
upset.  Well, it was upset.  So for several months I lamented having a
driveline that shimmied under acceleration.  After this latest
disassembly/reassembly the driveline shimmy is gone.  Yup, gone.  Completely.
It appears that I guessed correctly on the location of the bolts/washers the
second time around.  Imagine that...

-Lalo]
'88 Verde