back up lights

       The backup light switch is indeed inside the bellhousing, where it is
activated directly by the reverse gear shift linkage.  The wires come out of
the bellhousing and run across the top of the transmission.
       You should be able to test the switch by just unplugging the wire - I
recall a set of plugs close to the firewall, but those might not be on all
spiders.  A pair of sewing pins could be used to pierce the insulation on the
wires.  Use a volt ohmmeter on the ohm setting to see if the switch opens and
closes when you shift into and out of reverse.
       If it is indeed the switch, you will have to pull the transmission.
However, I suspect a broken / unplugged wire somewhere.  The switch is pretty
bullet proof.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City