re: '79 Alfetta Sedan Project - Drive line "clunk"

<The saga continues.  A clunk - as in thud against the rear area floor on
gear shifts - has been diagnosed as a bad transmission mount to the dedion
unit.  Can anyone tell me how to confirm this.  Under the car, nothing seems
to have much play and I noticed BTW that the clutch slave comes unexpectedly
close to the chassis.

If It is a transmission mount, how big a deal is it to change.  Appears that
I would have to drop the front transmission cross member.  How about the
drive shaft?>

Take a crow bar and wedge it between the trans and the dedion at the front
just behind the bell housing.   Pull gently.  You will see where the 2
mounts connect and you will see them separate.

It is a PITA job.  Lots of disassembly and grunting.    I don't remember the
exact procedure since its been years since I've done it.   If you want, I
can scan the pages from the Alfetta (Haynes) manual.  I believe it's also
covered in Bradens Bible.

It goes something like detach the mounts from the trans, pry the dedion down
and insert some old piston liners to keep it in place.  Attach the new
mounts up to the transaxle and remove old from trans, remove liners and
attach to dedion.   But that's probably overly simplistic.  I think there
are some cross members to remove and you might have to disconnect the drive
shaft.

-Peter