Re: alfa-digest V8 #1116

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 05:39:11 +0000
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided (alfa-digest) (actually George Graves)
wrote:

> The Brake booster cylinder. No doubt about it. The driveline stuff is
> a piece of cake compared to that thing. Even if you have to remove the
> Giubos on a pre 1986 Alfetta (where the cross support is not
> removable) its still easier than the brake cylinder.

Shouldn't be so bad if you take the pedal box out and put it on a
workbench.  I recently replaced the pedal box assembly in my Sport
Sedan.  Had to loosen the clamps on an air conditioning hose to move it
a few centimeters out of the way, and I removed the steering column
because the wide (auto trans) brake pedal hooked on the steering column.
 With separate brake and clutch pedals that shouldn't be necessary.  Of
course, the one I was taking out didn't have a clutch master cylinder to
contend with, and the one I put in didn't have a clutch hydraulic line
hooked up yet.

Pulling the propellor shaft out, even after pulling the transmission all
the way out, was much worse for me, even discounting the difference
between leaning into the engine bay and under the dash vs. lying on my
back under the car.  And I haven't even *tried* to put the propellor
shaft back yet.

But wait, I already had the instrument cluster out.  That probably
improved the access to the pedal box nuts.  Certainly improved the
visibility.