Flywheel problems

During replacing a worn clutch, I have run
into problem with the flywheel.  The flywheel
has visible heat checking and I have had it
machined in an attempt to remove the damaged
surface.  However, the machine shop has already
taken off 0.040 and the cracking is still
visible.  My questions are these:

How much material may be safely removed?

And, if I cannot safely remove any more, where
could I find a good replacement flywheel?

Thanks for your help!

Karl