VWs burn too!

"karl doll" at Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:53:44 -0700 wrote:
>Info from Studebaker owners, which probably applies here also: old types
>of rubber are incompatible with new types of fuel, especially the formulae
>used in the Republic of California.
>PS: Carry a fire extinguisher too!

That's all true. Here in ITaly we just dismissed the Lean gasoline.
Albeit the lead amount findable in later leaded gas was almost ZERO,
now we are sure there is nothing left in the 95-98 Oct gas we expesively
buy at gas station.
I upgraded my car: I've had the whole rubber made gas lines replaced
with newer ones. I am not really sure about newer gas vs rubber lines
problem, but I am aware that a 15 years old rubber line might break,
chap, crak, leak. It's just a matter of keeping 'em replaced. I doubt
it's worth replacing 'em every season (the probability of getting
a bad quality item improves with replacement frequency), but
replacing every some years it does make sense and is pretty cheap.
GAsoline flowing inside, sun, heat, cold, ice, rain... are all factors
tending to destroy rubber. And a drop of gasoline let out from
a leaking line might end in a flare is falling down on the warm
bit under that hood. Keep it replaced and that's all.
Fire exstinguisher is a pretty good idea. I never had one on my cars,
but I did buy it coupla months ago, after I experienced a tank leak
(due to a rock). The leak was right on the side of the muffler and
its temperature, or even some backfire could make a roast beef out
of my beloved car. Tank is fixed, fire extinguisher is bought.
I strategically placed it vertically by the side of passenger side,
near the center of the car (gear box lever zone). IT looks great,
it's easy to reach and people usually gets amazed... "is it a racing
car?" they ask me. Sounds funny, but I do answer YES :) (I've put
so many money over my car that I feel the right to show off a bit,
ain't I?). And it's a safe thing, definitely a good deal. I wish
I will never need it anyways. I wanna think It will stay there as
a decorative item.

Luca

nodoubt,
"With dreams to be a king first one should be a man" Joey DeMaio
937, 75 Turbo, RM250

http://nvr2fst.supereva.it