73 Berlina - Checking driveline components to eliminate vibration

I am in the process of tracking down what I believe to be a driveline
vibration in my 73 Berlina.  When I drive above 60mph the gear selector will
vibrate
badly as will the clutch pedal when depressed ever so slightly.  There
is also a 'droning' noise which builds with intensity above 60mph.
The books I have all give the good advice of checking components
and replacing if needed.  What should one look out for?
I have removed the propeller shaft and could use a second
opinion.  I'll start at the front.
The rubber donut has no cracks or tears in it, however, there is
a small amount of material missing on every second 'tab' where
it looks like the donut may have hit the tranny housing.  Just as an
aside, the nut holding the yoke to the tranny output shaft is tight.
The end of the tranny output shaft, however, is not round but shows
quite a lot of wear.  That's bad isn't it?!
The u-joints seem fine.  I can move them in all directions without any
binding or noises.  The hanger bearing turns freely, however, the rubber
support is badly cracked and the shaft does sag below the centre point
of the support.  Should I assume this to be bad?
Could this noise and kind of vibration come from bad wheel bearings?  There
is a lot of play in the rear wheels when I grasp the top and bottom of the
wheel
and push and pull on them.
The only other possibility I can think of is a tranny problem.  I will
probably have
a rebuild done soon anyway as there are syncro problems and a possible
throwout
bearing problem.  Perhaps something could be out of balance or warped in
there?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers,

Livio Passera