Re: Why Do Alfa's Burn? OLD F.I. lines!

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 16:37:58 -0500 Tony Martie <tony@domain.elided> wrote:

> On Sunday, September 15, 2002, at 04:27 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

> > I've since found a local NASCAR parts supplier that sells great
> > quality hoses
> > of all types for much less.

> Would you be good enough to share this info with the rest of us before
> our cars catch fire?

i sort of skipped this posting on first appearance, but now it puzzles me.

most high end race car construction no longer uses conventional rubber fuel
line. George Bignotti started using surplus Aeroquip and equivalent in the
60s for his indy cars, and the notion of using aircraft grade fuel and
hydraulic spread through open wheel and sports cars, and eventually into
stock cars (which are more conservative, and at the lower end of the
spectrum, perhaps a bit tighter with cash.)

i bet a lot of people are still using traditional fuel line on the lowest
end cars at the local dirt or clay short tracks (i spent some time looking
over a circle track car in Binghamton NY that was one of the most
frightening thing i'd ever seen, and the rubber fuel line running under the
driver's seat was one of many things that impressed.) nonetheless, i'm
somewhat confused by the characterization of "local NASCAR parts supplier"
here. race shops usually supply to drag folks, circle track of both nascar
and non-NASCAR persuasions (non-NASCAR subdividing into other sanctioning
bodies like IMCA, SCRA, USAC, etc.), and even some road racers (SCCA, NASA,
EMRA, and others.)

richard