Holy cow Richard, an official off topic

I have owned a 1978 SAAB 99GL 5 door (pretty bizarre styling but that was just the outside) which I bought new and kept for 6 years. Then my sister drove it for another 6.

What makes a SAAB?

The 1978 car was totally odd ball, handled extremely well in any kind of weather on any kind of road surface. Could be yumped right off the show room floor, with sturdy rubber bump stops and crash bars under the tranny. Some minor manufacturing issues and some crappy parts prevented it from being a great car, but it was a very good car and my 78 was the most powerful 2 liter car sold in Canada without a turbo at the time with 118 hp. Dealer network was just OK and parts availability and servicing were patchy. This was a real SAAB, though very different from "traditional" SAAB cars. Key SAAB features were: wrap around windshield for a super low cd for its time, door sills that were inset in the door openings allowing the door to cover the sill for crash protection and incidentally keeping your pantlegs clean when exiting the car (the door could not be pushed into the passenger cabin in an accident unless the doorframe suffered structural failure), roofline that came over the top of the doors so when you opened the door the snow on the roof or rain falling wouldn't drop straight down onto the seats (until you have a car that has this feature, like Volvo and SAAB used to, you have no idea how aggravating not having it is) no steering column lock as SAAB locked even the manual shift in reverse when the key was removed from the floor mounted ignition lock* (you could tell a SAAB car thief as they had to drive backwards), ability to remove the driver's seat without tools (seriously!) and the passenger seats with an allen key found in the tool kit (why the driver's seat also mystified me a bit, the others came out so you could use your SAAB as a truck, the first real SUV, and I suppose you COULD sit on some of the logs you were hauling for the fireplace), funky drivetrain with an inline engine clutch forward and tranny underneath, four wheel disc brakes with handbrake on the front wheels (a precursor to the EBD type LSD, I used this feature as a primitive LSD for winter driving, worked great, almost like a Torsen ATB type), heated driver's seat, really effective (and ugly) rubber self repairing bumpers which really worked as designed, and the list goes on.

*now this well known SAAB quirk is so useful all cars should have them, first of all the key is really easy to put into the ignition and retrieve, the key cannot cause any injury in a collision, the car starting sequence is very efficient: enter car with key in right hand, drop hand vertically and the key goes into the lock (there's a light switch to illuminate the interior AND the lock if you're a beginner at SAABing), switch on the engine, clip the seatbelt in select a gear and release the handbrake all without moving your hand more than a few inches and your body not at all, simply brilliant design.

My next SAAB was a 1984 900 Turbo four door. It had a stretched front end and a trunk instead of a Hatchback. Otherwise it was a 99. Same virtues, same problems. I drove it for 6 years then it kicked around for another 12 years, I saw it at the local dealer the other day, full of surface rust, still running, sort of, with well over 300,000 km on the odometer.

My next SAAB was a 1986 9000 Turbo which I bought used in 1988. Fantastic car, and I still own it. 260,000 km on the odometer, engine has never been touched nor has the turbo. Transmission was beefed up by SAAB as part of an after warranty program. Otherwise the car has been solid and reliable. However, I would not yump this car, it might not hold up. On the other hand it will do an honest 220 km/hr which is a good 30 km/hr faster than the 84 900Tand over 40 km/hr faster than the 99. Ignition lock was on the steering column, not the floor, body was "styled" so snow falls on the seat as does rain (no roof gutters) etc etc. Very good high speed tourer though, a real mile eater with surgical steering, powerful brakes, strong engine and seats you could sit in all day and then get back in for a quick spin after dinner. Handling is first rate although the older SAAB is better on snow. Haul a whole bunch in the big hatchback body but the seats are firmly bolted in now. Big controversy about whether the 9000 was a "real" SAAB though.

Now to the point of Richard's question.

In 1991, GM bought half of SAAB Cars. By 1993, quality was up, parts and service improved immensely, the car was redesigned and improved. Even the 900 became a better car after GM pumped some cash into SAAB.

I bought a 1997 9000 Aero, the factory tuned version of the 9000 Turbo. Absolutely amazingly capable car. GM bought the other half of SAAB in 2000. Parts availability is top notch, even for old cars, and service is top notch (our Saturn dealers sell and service SAABs). The 97 has been trouble free, except for a bizarre transmission failure apparently caused by a circlip (snap ring) failing and trashing a bearing. GM/SAAB had a remanufactured transmission delivered from Sweden in about four days and I had the car repaired and back on the road 8 days after the fault was diagnosed (i.e. we knew the tranny had failed but needed to know whether to rebuild or replace which took a couple of days to get a hoist free to start the work). I made a polite complaint to SAAB suggesting the transmission should not have failed (first one the mechanics had seen failing this way, and precious few failures of any kind) and SAAB stepped up to the plate no further questions asked and supplied the new tranny at half price. The warranty had expired two years before and the car had 125,000 km on (80,000 miles near enough).

Finally, I have not owned a true GM SAAB. The first was the new generation 900 based on the Opel. Not a great car, and not much of a SAAB. Then in 1999 SAAB released the 9000 replacement as the 9 5. This is also based upon an Opel but redesigned to suit SAAB and using their drivetrains. (The 900 was redesigned also and re released with SAAB drivetrains by 1997)The initial 9 5 release was a bit soft and mushy but the newer cars have been firmed up. All reports are the new SAABs are very good SAABs and retain some of the quirky traits we know and love. They are more mainstream and sell much better than any earlier models.

The very latest SAAB is the new 9 3 shortly to be released. It is even more mainstream and should sell really well. The drivetrain is all new and GM World design with SAAB head, engine management, intake and exhaust and of course a turbo.

On balance, GM has been very good for SAAB. Better cars, better service and more popular. Some of the SAAB "character" has gone but that started with the 9000 when SAAB realized that they had to appeal to a wider market. The latest SAABs are very good cars and deservedly more popular than the older ones.

My take on GM bringing Alfa in is that parts availability and service will improve immensely. If GM puts some money in, the cars should be better also. They will be more main stream but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. If Alfa uses drivetrains and suspension designed at least in part by Alfa, then the cars should be very good indeed.

Cheers

and flame away.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada