Re: wheel bearings, Panteras, Mangustas, 164s, Vette's et al.

When we replaced the rear wheel bearings on the 2000 rear axle that's in my
1971 Giulia Super, we found that, on both sides, the shrink ring was not all
the way home. In other words, it was not hold the bearing hard against the
carrier. On one halfshaft, there was evidence that the bearing had been
rotating on the shaft but there was no damage.

I once heard a huge roar coming down London's Finchley Road (I was standing
at a bus stop at Swiss Cottage) and a liveried Mangusta came haring into
view, closely pursued by a Pantera. Neither of them was stock (especially
the Mangusta). They made lovely, loud noises and travelled very quickly,
even around the corner. I hope you can enjoy that 1 percent as much as I did
at the time. The Mangusta I have since seen competing on the track. The
stock Mangusta had even more well-documented handling "nuances" than the
Pantera may or may not have had. I believe high CG and chassis flex is/was
most of the problem.

Choosing the car that's most enjoyable is a kind of like choosing the best
hi-fi system. There is no one answer. With hi fi, the only intelligent thing
is to listen until you find what sounds best to you. With cars, the only
intelligent thing is to drive them and find out what you prefer. It never
ceases to amaze me how people in the UK will buy cars (even new) that they
have never driven. I'm not sure but I suspect that Italians would tend to
drive cars and then choose the one they like (to drive).

I, too, suspect that a well-driven 164 or modern 'Vette will be capable of
lapping anything other than long-straight-laden circuits at higher speeds
than a Pantera. However, I suspect I know which one of the three will be the
most entertaining to drive and it ain't the FWD car. On the other hand, my
125 gbox kart will probably be able to do 2 laps in the time it takes the
Vetta to do one. Well, it would if the engine weren't in pieces and on the
other side of town.....

Horses for courses, etc.

nk

Nick Koleszar   koleszar@domain.elided
outgoing mail scanned for viruses by Norton.
1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 2.0
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 3.0 QV
1993 Mini
1990-ish Rotax 125cc/Gbox kart