From: borrani@domain.elided
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 2:23 PM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: oil pump removal

Interesting topic! I just removed the lower pan on
my '65 GTA to remove the pump.  Did it with a 13mm
crow's foot as well (thanks, Zach!).  It is a big issue
to get the new pump in correctly because it'll want to
bind.  I prefer to have the front cover in my hands
where I can make sure the oil pump will spin freely w/o
binding.  I hated working on my back in my cramped
garage so badly that I'm just going to pull the motor
out.

Turns out I have to anyways, after a summer of racing (3
or so races) my oil pressure misbehaved and it looks
like evidence of more shot peen damage to the motor.
Out the motor comes for the 3rd time in 2 years and I'll
inspect all bearings to see what kind of damage has been
done, if any.  The oil pump relief valve was sticking on
metallic, magnetic grit.  Was it more shot peen, or the
pump eating itself?

I can't blame the car for these issues, just the
rebuilder in France somewhere who carelessly shot-peened
this motor.  On the good side, I think I have the
driveline vibration sorted out, and the rear dunlops
figured out, and a nice new loud Magnaflow exhaust put
on.  I did easily outpace two 911S's my last race, both
2.0 examples.

Such is life,

Steve Schaeffer
Seattle, WA