Re: Berlina magic (cold start solenoid bypass switch)

I bought my 72 Spica-equipped Spider from a friend who, with a plane to
Europe to catch, had tried unsuccessfully for some time to start
it--cranking it until he had to call a cab.  When he returned  from Europe
a month later, the engine was frozen.  He had the engine disassembled, but
couldn't afford to have it repaired, so he sold it to me (this  was in
1978). I never figured out why the car wouldn't start, but the flood of gas
had clearly washed away the oil from the rings,  causing all  four pistons
to to freeze solidly to their liners.  After replacing the pistons/liners,
I installed a bypass switch for the cold-start (and a manual choke in place
of the TA), so that if for any reason I want to crank it a bit, I wouldn't
flood it with gas. I don't think that I've ever had to use the switch
except for compression tests and the like but I'm glad it's there.

Bob  Wilkinson
72 Spider