RE: Steering box seals and other questions

Jon

You may well find that the box casing itself is cracked. If it's the same
design as the Burman on my '71 Giulia Super, these are well known to have
BIG problems with cracking. They are poorly designed for spreading the
loads, made from poor-quality alloy (compared to today) and old. Make sure
you have a good look around the casing, with someone applying plenty of lock
and shaking the wheel. Try shaking the car, too. You may only see the cracks
under stress (the car, not you).

I'd put some oil in it and see where it comes out. Clean the crud off the
outside first, though.

nk