Alfa coming back (now) in 2007??

Some of you may remember several months ago I made a prediction that Alfa
would never return to the US. What I surmised would occur was an announced
delay of the reintroduction from say 2003 or 2004 to a later date and then at
that later date they'd say it was delayed indefinitely and finally they'd
just forget about it. I received a lot of email responses at that time saying
I was wrong and for certain Alfa would be back for a multitude of reasons.

Well... in this weeks Automotive news is the following short front page story:

<<Alfa's return set for '07

By <A HREF="mailto:lucaciferri@domain.elided";>Luca Ciferri</A>
Automotive News / September 09, 2002

TURIN, Italy -- Alfa Romeo's return to the United States has been delayed
again.

Sources say Fiat Auto's sporty brand won't go on sale in North America until
2007, three years later than originally planned. The relaunch has been
postponed twice. Fiat pulled Alfa Romeo out of the United States in 1995.

The delays have been caused by problems developing models that meet U.S.
safety and emission regulations, and lack of funding for the marketing
campaign needed to reintroduce the brand.

Alfa Romeo wants to return to the United States with a full range of products
- the replacements for the 147, 156, Spider, GTV coupe and a full-sized sport
wagon.>>

This is the first step of the three I predicted would happen... an announced
long delay. This buys them three or so more years before they announce the
second step... an "undetermined" length of delay. As much as I'd love to see
Alfa back here in the U.S., I said it before and I'll say it again... face it
folks, they aren't coming back.

Ed at Caribou
www.caribou.cc
www.AlfaSpider.cc